Home of the United States Air Force Academy CrossFit Team & Club

13 February 2012

02.13.2012

Don't forget dudes, this is your last chance to get your valentines day gifts. Make it count!

Warmup
3 min of double under work/ 5 min 70% 200m run & 10 double unders/DU attempts

METCON:
7 RFT for class/10 RFT for competitors
10 ring dips
5 Power clean (155#)

Strength
Shoulder Press 4x5

____________________

          Sometimes, adversity makes you step up to the plate. February 9th changed my life in more ways than I would like. Sometimes, we complain about all the stupid stuff that we have to do in cadet land that makes our lives harder. I never thought to stop and think about how long lasting their effects could be--until now. Because I tore my achilles tendon, I will not get to know if I had what it takes to be an ALO, nor will I get to be one for a while. 
        Many people have asked me if it hurts. The answer is yes and no. The initial physical pain was intense, I thought Fabian had hit me with a baseball bat, but since then, there hasn't been any appreciable pain. No need to take the drugs that I was given. On the other hand, not a moment goes by thinking about what I gave up, and  how frustrating it is to just be able to get to the other side of the room. I constantly am haunted by that moment,   and all the chokepoints leading up to that moment, in which I could have pussed out and chosen to sit that one out. But what's done is done. My left leg will get smaller, I will get weaker, I will have an alternative future, but my leg will heal.
      Day 1 was one of the worst days of my life since I've become a cadet. Let me tell you, there hasn't been too many of those, especially because I wake up every day realizing how lucky I am to be where I am doing what I'm doing. But I guarantee, no matter how positive or resilient you are, there is always some sort of grieving process that accompanies a shift in your life. But, any negative can be turned into a positive if you see even the slightest bit of optimism in it. Having my friends carry me out onto the parade field like Rudy made me feel almost like me again. It was brief, but yet satisfying.
     I joke around about how CrossFit is sooo functional. Anybody who knows me knows that I make fun of those zealots that act like CrossFit is the end all be all. But even in my limited capacity, I can truly see that CrossFit actually is functioning in my everyday life now. Every time I get up out of a chair, i have to do a pistol; every time I crutch around, its like doing a dip; every time I reach for something, I know I am using a lot of core to stabilize my body to get it. I refuse to let this injury be an excuse for me to get out of shape.

      Take it from me, in spite of my injury, don't be afraid to push harder towards your goals, and never be satisfied with where you are at right at this moment. I did the WOD knowing full well the risks associated with it, and I did this to myself. No one else hit me in the ankle, no one tortured me into doing the workout. Resiliency is how we bounce back. Not many of us know how to react until we have been put through the ringer. Prepare yourself. It'll happen to you, and the more you comprehend it now, the better off you will be in the future. Thanks to all who have taken care of me throughout this whole ordeal. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

-Wutang

2 comments:

Garrett said...

Nice dude. Good post.

Race Bannon said...

Good post. Young people (...and some not so young) look to your blog for a WOD, or some inspiration. Good post.